Are you wondering whether a dab rig is a good choice for you? Many users find that dab rigs offer the best smoking experience of all. However, knowing all the benefits is key to making a final decision about whether they’re right for you. Let’s take a closer look at what a dab rig is, and how to use one. Armed with this information, you can then make your choice.
What Are Dab Rigs?
Dab rigs are a form of water pipe designed for use with wax concentrates or oils. They are used through a process known as “dabbing”. It gets its name because you need to dab the concentrates onto a heated nail.
Over the past couple of years, the dab rig has become more popular. This is because more concentrates have started to hit the market. In theory, you could use any type of water pipe to dab. However, if you maximize your enjoyment, using the best dab rig is essential.
The Dabbing Process
Although the technology for dabbing is evolving, many people still use a traditional setup. This include:
- Cannabis extracts
- Water pipe
- A nail
- A dome
- A torch
- A dabber tool
When dabbing, you should always start with a very small amount of concentrate. This is because dabbing can produce potent effects when compared to smoking flower.
Once you’ve set up your rig and prepared your dabber, it’s time to begin. Here are some simple steps to follow:
- Switch on the torch (a crème brulee-style blow torch is ideal).
- Aim its flame at the nail.
- Once it is glowing red switch off the torch.
- Put the dome over the nail.
- Allow the nail to cool. (Titanium nails take around 10 seconds, but quartz ones take around 45 seconds to cool sufficiently.)
- Take your dabbing tool and put the dab straight onto the nail in the dome.
- Inhale slowly.
- Rotate the dabber tool’s tip on the nail. This prevents wastage of your concentrate.
- Exhale then enjoy.
It’s always wise to dab sitting down since the effects can be powerful, especially for inexperienced users.
It’s important to take care when dabbing. The dome and nail will be very hot. You must use caution if handling them. Wait until all the pieces have fully cooled before touching them.
Why Use Dab Rigs?
There are several advantages to choosing to use dab rigs. They include:
- They produce vapor rather than smoke. This means there are no harmful carcinogens.
- They get the best flavor out of your concentrates.
- Even a small dab rig can produce lots of vapor.
- They produce smoke which is virtually odor-free.
- They offer a potent experience.
What Do I Need To Consider If I’m Purchasing My First Dab Rig?
Are you ready to buy your first dab rig? If so, you need to ensure you’re getting great value for money. Not all dab rigs are created equal, so getting the choice right is vital.
Although dabbing for the first time can be overwhelming, you’ll soon find it much easier than you thought. Before you know it, you’ll have got to grips with the basics of using your dab rig.
Here are some things to bear in mind if you’re buying a dab rig for the first time:
- Does it fit comfortably into your hand? If not, it may not be user-friendly.
- Will you be traveling with your dab rig – if so, size will be a factor to consider.
- Is it thick and durable? If not, it may easily be broken.
- Can it be upgraded? You may want to add more accessories in the future for a longer lifespan and greater flexibility for your rig.
- Are you buying it from a reliable and reputable store? That’s the best way to ensure you’re getting a quality product.
- Do you like its shape, style and color?
- Will it come with the dab nail? If not, you’ll need to buy one separately.
- What’s the price? You may be on a budget, and if so, there are lots of dab rigs that are affordable. On the other hand, paying a little more make give you better value for money. You may be able to upgrade your rig with accessories. It may also be more sturdily made from better materials.
What Do I Need To Know About Dab Nails?
Before choosing the right dab right for you, you’ll need to find out more about dab nails. You need a good dab nail to get good-quality vapor from concentrates. Your dab nail represents the place where the wax is dabbed. It is also the place from which it get vaporized, allowing you to inhale it.
Dab nails come in a range of materials including ceramic, quartz and titanium. Get your choice right and your dabs’ flavor will greatly improve.
All dab nails have their own pros and cons. However quartz nails are often the best choice. They are user-friendly, inexpensive, have excellent heat retention and produce amazing flavor. Also, they limit the requirement for cleaning.
What’s The Difference Between A Dab Rig And A Bong?
All dab rigs can be bongs, and all bongs can be dab rigs. However, there are still many differences between them.
- The primary difference between a bong and a dab rig is the material you smoke from it. Bongs are used with dry herbs. Meanwhile, dab rigs are used with concentrates. However, both are water pipes which percolate the smoke.
- Bongs and dab rigs have different glass accessories. Bongs feature a bowl while a dab rig has a nail.
- Bongs should be larger than dab rigs. They should also have more percolators to allow for better cooling and filtration. Dab rigs are usually smaller. This allows the vapor to get to your lungs rapidly before it loses potency and flavor.
- Often dab rigs cost more than bongs. This is because more accessories are needed. These include dab nails, carb caps, dabber tools and dab torches.
Can The Same Pipe Be Used For Concentrates And Dry Herbs?
It’s technically possible to add a bowl to a bong for dry herbs and a nail for smoking concentrates. However, this isn’t the best idea. Having separate pieces for each type of material is preferable. Mixing the flavor of dry herbs and concentrates can lead to unpleasant tastes. Also, the pipe becomes harder to clean.
Follow this advice, and you’ll find that using a dab rig isn’t as difficult as you might have thought. You’re sure to enjoy the experience, so give it a try today.